Baby suffered internal acid burns after swallowing battery (photos)

Baby suffered internal acid burns after swallowing battery (photos) ••

A baby was left fighting for his life after he swallowed a battery that he had managed to get out of his mother’s weighing scales. 

Ollie Lennon’s insides were burned by acid and he started violently vomiting black liquid on May 29.
His parents, Chrissy and Elliot, were initially told that he may have suffered from asthma or croup, but he continued to vomit so they called 101.
They were told to keep an eye on Ollie at home in Worthing, West Sussex, but the following day he was still very sick.

They only realised what had happened when Chrissy went to weigh herself and realised the batteries were missing.
She took Ollie to hospital where an X-ray revealed that he had swallowed the button battery.

After an hour and a half they finally managed to dislodge the battery and remove it, but it had corroded sparking fears that acid had burned his insides.
He was taken to Southampton General Hospital in an induced coma and scans revealed he had scarring and acid burns in his trachea.
Initially there were no holes in his windpipe, throat or vital organs.
His dad said: ‘We were so relieved. He was kept in a coma as he was so ill and would have been in a lot of pain.’
In early June, while still in Southampton, he was brought round from the coma. But, disaster struck a few days later when his breathing became ragged.

Further scans were carried out and medics established a one-inch hole had formed in his trachea. It had caused his left lung to collapse.
‘We couldn’t believe it,’ his dad said. ‘It had an impact on his lungs, and so his left lung collapsed. We were told he needed to be transported straight away to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London where they had specialist treatment, and could deal with him better.’
Once again put in an induced coma, he was taken by ambulance to the paediatric intensive care unit at Great Ormond Street.
‘Things escalated quickly,’ said Elliott. ‘We were giving accommodation by a charity near to the hospital but that night, while in bed, we got a call from a nurse. She said a security guard would be at our accommodation any moment to escort us to the hospital and we needed to see Elliott.’
There, an anaesthetist was waiting. He revealed Elliot’s condition had deteriorated so rapidly that he needed an operation immediately to replace the damaged, holey tubes with fresh ones. These would be taken from the back of his heart, where the valves were stronger. 

“It was a heart and lung bypass,’ explained Elliott. ‘He was given a one in 10 chance of survival. It was, hands down, the worst day of both of our lives.
‘We were told, quite honestly, he could die. Seeing or little boy so ill was dreadful.’
For the next seven hours the Lennnons paced the corridors. Finally, they were given the news Ollie, who has a brother Riley, three, had survived surgery.
He was kept in an induced coma for around a week and gradually brought round. However, because medics wanted to keep him still, they kept him partially paralysed for a while.
‘Normally he is so active,’ his dad said. ‘So that didn’t go down well.’
Finally, towards the end of June, he could get up. He started moving about, although was still tube fed.

And on July 17 – after nearly two months in hospital – he was allowed home.
His dad had shared his son’s movements while in hospital on Facebook, and the news was met with jubilation.
But the long-term impact for Ollie is unknown. ‘Now he can’t eat solids, so we are liquidising everything,’ said Elliott. ‘He can also only groan.
‘However, he is alive. And that is brilliant.’
Now, Elliott and Chrissy want parents to know about the dangers of button batteries in toys and household items such as children’s thermometers and bathroom scales.
‘People need to be aware,’ said Elliott. ‘We’ve already noticed other items and toys with them in, and got rid of them – it isn’t worth it.’

Advertisements

For Advert, News or Suggestions, Please Call Paul Ikpe on +2347068326095 or +2348112314242, Email: Paulikpeonline@gmail.com •• •• Did you find this post interesting? Drop a comment telling me what you feel or think about what you just read and i will give a quick reply if necessary. I love and care about my readers so much. Remain Blessed! 😘

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s