TEARS!!! No Peace For Rochas Okorocha, As The Ghost Of A 12-Year Old Innocent Boy Shot In Cold Blood, Hunts Him ••
The 48-hours ultimatum given to Traders and residents within the vicinity of the Owerri Main Market, otherwise known as Eke-Ukwu Owerri, to vacate the market, elapsed on Saturday.
As early as 5 am on Saturday, Governor Rochas Okorocha had deployed bulldozers, Policemen, Soldiers, Armoured Personnel Carriers, APC, and thugs, to enforce the demolition and relocation of the over 200-year old ancestral market of the Owerri people.
Literarily, terror was visited on the small Owerri community, as a combined team of Policemen, Soldiers, and thugs, in more than15 Hilux trucks swept into the Douglas road area of the city, shooting sporadically, battering, and looting shops and wares.
Two persons were feared dead, one is a 12-year old kid, who was reportedly helping his parents to safeguard goods from their shop, around the multi-line area of Douglas road.
He was shot in the head, and efforts to save him by his family and passers-by, proved abortive.
A 12-year-old boy, Somtochukwu Ibeanusi, was allegedly shot dead by Military men from the 34 artillery brigade, Obinze, who were deployed to maintain law and order during the forceful demolition of the Owerri main market.
Many others were said to have been hospitalized as a result of gunshot wounds allegedly fired by the Military men.
The father of the child, Isaiah Ibeanusi, said that the Military men shot his son at the back of his head and he died instantly.
Ibeanusi who spoke to Newsmen, said that the tragic incident occurred at MultilChoice Line, while he was trying to evacuate his goods during the demolition.
The grieving father who spoke in Igbo language said: “While I was trying to remove my goods from the shop, I was quickly alerted that my son had been shot by the Army.
“I quickly rushed to the scene, and I could only see my son stone dead. He was shot at the back of his head. He died on the spot. The Army people that shot the bullet did not care, they quickly moved on.”
An eyewitness, who simply gave her name as Chika, said that the boy was hit by the bullet of the Army officers, who had shot indiscriminately apparently in a bid to scare the Traders away.
She said that several others were wounded, including an old man and a youth leader, who she gave his name as Leonard Ebubeagu.
A Trader who refused to disclose his name, said that goods worth billions of naira were destroyed
When our Correspondent visited the scene, the ever busy Douglas road leading to the market was barricaded by security men.
Speaking, the Army Public Relations officer, 34 Artillery brigade, Haruna Tarwai, denied any shooting nor killing by his men.
The Army Spokesperson, said that his men were only deployed to ensure that those demolishing the market were protected, insisting that there was no single shooting by the Soldiers.